One of the questions I often get asked in workshops and coaching programs is, “How do you get in touch with your intuition (or inner guide), and can you actually trust it?” I always say the first place to start is to learn what your unique intuitive style is. Take this intuition quiz to find out how your inner voice has been trying to get your attention.
Intuition Quiz: 5 Questions, 4 Styles
When trying to answer the questions below, more than one answer to each may resonate. Choose the answer that best describes you and your approach.
1. How do you learn best?
a. When information is written or visually sketched out
b. When information is communicated verbally—directly or via audio
c. Through personal experience—by doing or feeling
d. Through research, learning facts, and diving deeper into your own knowing
2. How do you make decisions?
a. I visualize the outcome or create vision boards
b. I discuss with others and listen to advice and guidance
c. Gut feeling, inner knowing
d. Based on past experience
3. When you watch a great movie, what do you remember most?
a. The scenery/cinematography, visual effects, costumes, appearances
b. The score or soundtrack (your music library is full of movie soundtracks)
c. How it made you feel
d. The storyline, the characters, and the acting
4. What do others say about you?
a. You help them see things in a unique, new way
b. You’re a great listener and always there for them
c. You give excellent advice
d. You are loyal and trustworthy
5. What do you say to others to let them know you understand?
a. “I see what you mean.”
b. “I hear you.”
c. “I feel you.”
d. “I know what you mean.”
Results of Your Intuition Quiz
If You Answered Mostly A’s
You are clairvoyant—clear seeing/inner seeing
Your intuition speaks directly to you in the form of sight. It is your dominant sense, and you may see images in your mind or interpret information through pictures. You have the ability to see events from the past, present, and future in your mind. When people speak to you, you may see images to interpret what they say, and you learn best by seeing and experiencing. Your life is like watching a little movie inside your head. You see things unfold, and each image guides you on the right path.
Signs you’re clairvoyant:
- You daydream often.
- You see clearly how things fit together.
- You have a deep connection to beautiful things.
- You have a vivid imagination.
- You envision plans in your head.
- Your sense of direction is on point.
- You have vivid and intense dreams/daydreams.
- You’re a creative person.
If You Answered Mostly B’s
You are clairaudient—clear hearing
Clairaudience is a way of receiving intuitive messages not with your physical ears but rather by hearing messages within your mind. Your higher self (or spirit, the universe) talks to you. When clairaudient abilities are beginning to open up, you may notice ringing in your ears, changes of pressure in your ears (such as popping or buzzing noises), or you may start to hear voices. Don’t worry, you are opening up to your intuitive channel. Think of clairaudience as an inner hearing. For example, you may suddenly hear that little voice inside you say, “Go right!” or “Stop!” Trust it; this is your intuition guiding you.
Signs you’re clairaudient:
- You talk to yourself often.
- Sudden inspiration or ideas just come to you.
- Growing up, your best friends were imaginary.
- Music makes you feel connected to your soul.
- People come to you for advice and support.
- You hear ringing or high-pitched noises in your ears.
- You learn through the auditory channel.
- You can “hear” animals.
- You hear whispering, noises, talking, and radio sounds from afar.
- You hear messages that sound like they were delivered just for you.
If You Answered Mostly C’s
You are clairsentient—clear feeling
Clairsentience is the ability to receive intuitive messages via feelings, emotions, or physical sensations. Empathy is a form of clairsentience. You get all your information via feeling or sensing subtle energies around you. People who are clairsentient can sense others’ emotions and easily pick up on energy.
Signs you’re clairsentient:
- You feel drained after being in a large group of people.
- You have awesome instincts about people, places, and situations.
- You sense energy in the room.
- You can immediately tell when someone is having a bad day (even if they’re smiling).
- You find it difficult to watch the news.
- Emotional movies leave you in tears.
- You feel emotions (not your own) randomly, and seemingly without cause.
- You are super sensitive to your environment.
- You physically feel other people’s pain (physical and emotional).
- People say you’re too sensitive.
- You have strong gut feelings.
- You can’t shop at thrift or antique stores.
If You Answered Mostly D’s
You are claircognizant—clear knowing
Claircognizance is the ability to just know something without logic or facts. It may help to think of it as an inner knowing. For example, if you know that you shouldn’t trust your new neighbor or go down that street at night, but you don’t know why, that is claircognizance. Claircognizant feelings can be very strong. They can also come in the form of intuitive thoughts that pop into your head at random. This is often the most mistrusted or misunderstood of intuitive abilities because there is no real evidence, just an inner pull. The ego-mind will try to convince you it’s unfounded, but your heart and inner knowing has certainty; you know the truth. Always trust it.
Signs you’re claircognizant:
- You spend your time thinking or writing a lot (many authors and songwriters are claircognizant).
- You have lots of sudden ideas that you can’t wait to share, often keeping you up at night.
- You look at new ideas with a skeptical and analytical mindset.
- You are a creative ideas person.
- You frequently have déjà vu.
- You can always tell when someone is lying.
- You know when someone is genuine and trustworthy, often with no explanation.
- You are the answers person. People ask you to help solve something they can’t solve—a personal issue, a work issue, a logistical issue—anything really.
- You prefer learning through books or written works.
- You trust things you can’t see.
- You know what the outcome of a situation will be before it happens.
• • •
Our intuition is always working with us. It is up to us to develop a plan to increase communication. Much like exercising to improve your health, you can improve connection with your Divine Wisdom by practicing listening and trusting the inner nudge within.
Adapted and excerpted from Shannon Kaiser's new book Return to You: 11 Spiritual Lessons for Unshakable Inner Peace published by Sounds True, April 2022.