Sound healing benefits include stress relief, better focus, and energy alignment. And it all depends on the frequency you’re listening to.
I’ve always known that sound was healing. Ever since I was a child, I would use music as a form of self-expression, releasing feelings of joy, sadness, and anger. It wasn’t until much later that I realized there are actual benefits of sound on the mind and body in terms of its frequency. My husband always played music set to 320 hz for our children to fall asleep to at bedtime. I have to admit I didn’t always see the importance. Then I went to a sound bath.
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I arrived. I walked into a beautifully lit room with candles burning and hammocks hanging from the ceiling. At the front of the room a beautiful woman in white sat on a sheepskin rug surrounded by the most amazing quartz singing bowls. Some people chose to lie on the floor with pillows and their mat. I chose to lie tucked inside one of the cocoon-like hammocks.
From Pulsating Panic to Another Dimension
The woman leading the sound bath began slowly by playing lower tones. I instantly relaxed and felt like I was floating in the hammock as well as in my mind. As the tones became louder and intensified, I felt a rush of anxiety. I couldn’t tell if the sound pulsating through every cell in my body was coming from inside my own head or from the bowls. For a minute I thought I was going to have a panic attack.
Then the frequency changed and I felt at ease again. As the session went on, I found that I was more in tune with the sounds becoming a part of me. My mind was relaxed, and I went into a clear meditative state. I don’t think I thought about anything at all. It was as if I was on a journey in another dimension that I did not want to come back from.
When the session ended, I felt a sense of peace settle over me and an understanding of my energies aligned. I couldn’t wait to get out of there to see if this feeling was real. At the same time, I couldn’t wait to do it again.
Benefits of Sound Healing
So, what is actually happening to you during these sessions? Is there a real benefit to this kind of sound healing therapy? In addition to inducing a relaxed state, sound therapy has been reported to:
- Relieve stress
- Reduce frequency of headaches
- Boost confidence
- Improve focus
- Improve relationships with others
- Clarify thinking
- Improve organization skills
How Sound Therapy Works
The law of vibration states that all creations vibrate at certain frequencies. Everything is in motion and never rests. Electrical activity in the brain is displayed in the form of brainwaves, or rhythmic, repetitive frequencies. Our thoughts and attitude also reflect our frequency. A person who is very positive will be vibrating at a higher, faster frequency than someone with a negative outlook.
The benefit of sound therapy is that we can change the vibration in our bodies to invoke a different outcome or outlook by working with the natural activity of our brain waves. As explained by Dr. Anothony Komaroff of Harvard Medical School, “Humans are rhythmic beings: Our heartbeat, breathing, and brain waves are all rhythmic. The human brain and nervous system are hardwired to distinguish music from noise and to respond to rhythm and repetition, tones and tunes.”
Balancing With the Solfeggio Frequencies
Most sound baths use pure quartz bowls that each have a different tone. These tones are called the Solfeggio frequencies. These six sets of musical tones date back to ancient times and are said to be the fundamental sounds chanted by Gregorian monks.
Physician and researcher Joseph Puleo rediscovered the Solfeggio frequencies in the 1970s. It was found that those who performed chants at these frequencies experienced lower heart rate and blood pressure while singing, according to Dr. Alan Watkins, a neuroscience lecturer at Imperial College, London.
The Solfeggio frequencies are considered by many to keep the mind, body, and soul in balance. Certain frequencies can provoke feelings of anxiety or tense emotion. This is the frequency unlocking a part of yourself that you have locked away, and it’s all part of the healing process. When I experienced anxiety during my sound bath, I had no idea that it was my energy’s reaction to the change in frequency; it was aligning something inside of me that needed healing. As the energies even out from the frequency you will notice a monumental change. After getting through the adjustment of energy, I was able to transcend.
Sound Healing at Home
Interestingly, your brain decodes frequencies the same way an antenna does. Most of the music we regularly listen to uses a frequency of 440 Hz, while the frequency of the universe is 432 Hz. There are numerous music apps available to help you find music of different frequencies to target various things.
Here are some frequencies and their uses:
- 174 Hz: This frequency will help to relieve pain and tension. A Harvard University study showed that hospital patients listening to this frequency of music were recovering faster and their mental status was far better than non-listeners. It can work as a natural anesthesia.
- 285 Hz: This is linked to the root chakra for feeling safe. This tone is said to help heal tissue by sending a message to restructure the damaged organs and tissues.
- 396 Hz: This frequency can help remove subconscious fears, worries, and anxiety. It also helps to eliminate feelings of guilt and negative beliefs that block the path to achieving personal goals.
- 432 Hz: This is the natural universal frequency. A 2019 study conducted in Italy showed that music tuned to this frequency slows down the heart rate when compared to 440 Hz. This frequency fills the mind with feelings of peace and wellbeing, making it the perfect accompaniment for yoga, meditation, or sleep.
- 528 Hz: This frequency cleanses disease and sickness. A 2018 study from Japan reported that music tuned to this frequency significantly reduced stress in the endocrine systems and autonomic nervous systems. It is also worth noting that this frequency also increased cell life by about 20 percent.
- 741 Hz: Music tuned to this frequency helps with problem-solving, cleansing the body, and self-expression. It also helps to awaken your intuition and allows you to think clearly and focus.
- 852 Hz: This frequency helps to restore your spiritual order. This is the ideal frequency if you are feeling anxious or nervous. It will help to calm you down and replace your negative feelings with positive ones.
Try using sound healing and various frequencies to help you navigate through your health and your life.
Want to hear more? Check out these five favorites for enriching serenity through sound.