Craving a space that aligns with your spiritual needs? Follow five steps to create an intentional space that’s right for you.
When we think of creating our spiritual spaces, we often think about what color to paint the room, the furniture to include, and how we will arrange our statues and candles. We may think along the lines of decluttering. These are useful places to start. An important part of creating a space that is sacred, whether that sacredness is for art, meditation, or yoga, is consciously setting an intention for the space.
Deborah Kremins (intuitionmed.com) is an intuition consultant who studied with Francesca McCartney at the Academy of Intuition Medicine. She has been teaching and sharing intuitive work for over 20 years and shares a process for creating a space that feels in alignment with what you want to use it for.
Here are five steps to creating your spiritual space.
- Grounding yourself. Begin by sitting in the space and grounding yourself. Grow roots into the earth. Let yourself sink into a deeper place of knowing, leaving your logical, analytical mind to rest for a bit. Offer a greeting to this inner knowing and listen for a greeting in return. Be present with yourself and with the space in its current state. How does it feel right now? If it feels crowded or chaotic, or not up to date, release any energy that is not connected to the present. Release anyone else’s energy. Release past ideas about this space—your hopes and wishes of what it could have been. Allow the space to “come into the present time.”
- Ground the space. Imagine the space as having roots that grow deep into earth. If the space has corners, imagine each of the corners grounding into the earth. Feel the stability of that deep connection.
- Set the space. Ask your place of deeper knowing for a color that is “in affinity for you with the room, and trust your first seeing, hearing, knowing sense.” Fill the room energetically with that color. Let the color expand into any corners and all the way from the floor to the ceiling.
- Protect the space. Ask for protection for your space. This will be an energy that is placed outside of the space. It will act as a filter, keeping out any unwanted energy and allowing in only what is in alignment with you and your intention.
- Set the intention. When you have gone through the first steps, return again to your place of deepest knowing, your intuitive center, and ask what you want this room to be. Is it a safe place? Or a retreat? Will this be your place for creative expression or for meditation? Whatever you decide this space will be, ask again for a color that is in affinity with your intention for this space. Trust your first knowing and again fill the space energetically with that color.
As you use your space in a way that matches your intention for it, the energy within it will grow and become more potent. The energy will support your practice, just as your practice will support the energy.
Want more? Keep reading: “Creating an At-Home Altar to Bring Spiritual Peace and Joy.”