The third eye is the energetic seat of inner wisdom and higher consciousness in the body. Herein is the answer to all our questions. We no longer have to seek wisdom outside of ourselves but can find it from our own existence and experience.
What usually stops us from strengthening the third eye are our thoughts and mind. The mind can only reference what it has already experienced; it becomes anxious when thinking about the future since it is unknown.
The key to working with these thoughts is to find what works for you to get yourself into the present moment. If you don’t meditate, you can simply just take deep breaths and count them on the inhale and exhale.
When you balance your third eye chakra, you can start to feel deeply connected to your higher self; your inner guide gives you the answers. By working with your third eye chakra to create ease of mind, you can also find deeper, more restful sleep. You can work on your third eye chakra throughout the day or develop and follow a nighttime ritual.
1. Sit in a comfortable position with a straight spine. To open your chest, keep your shoulders back and down. Close your eyes to make it easier to get in touch with the breath.
2. Place your right hand on the heart chakra in the middle of the chest and your left on the sacral chakra, just below the navel.
3. Start by putting all your attention on the breath that flows in and out of your nose. Continue to make the breaths deeper and longer. Your inhale should be as long as your exhale.
4. Follow the breath all the way down into the abdomen. Feel in your left palm how the stomach expands on your inhale and continues all the way up and fills your palm towards the heart chakra.
On the exhale, the air moves from the top of your heart chakra down to your stomach, where you squeeze out the remaining air as the navel moves towards the spine.
Fill the stomach like a balloon again and repeat the procedure. Do at least 15–20 rounds of this style of breath.
For each inhalation feel new energy enter, and on your exhalation feel as if you’re letting go of that which no longer serves you.
5. Bring your awareness to the breath that flows in and out of your nostrils. Follow your breath until you are ready to slowly open your eyes again and release your hands.
[For recipes from Annika Panotzki, check out The Chakra Cookbook.]
Foods to Boost the Third Eye Chakra
- Blue spirulina or regular spirulina
- Coconut water
- Macadamia nut
- Mandarin oranges
- Raw cacao
Here’s a smoothie recipe for boosting your third eye chakra.
- 200g/7oz frozen mango
- 1 handful of spinach
- 8 fresh mint leaves
- 250ml/9fl oz/1 cup plant based milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon blue spirulina/regular spirulina
- 1⁄2 teaspoon agave syrup (optional)
Blend everything thoroughly in a blender.
And here’s a third-eye chakra boosting tea.
- 2 sprigs of fresh lavender with flowers
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 400ml/14fl oz/1⅔ cups hot boiled water
Let it all infuse for 5 minutes.
Benefits: provides clarity and mental peace. Removes negativity and raises the mind.
Working with the Third Eye for Better Sleep
Make preparing for rest a loving ritual with yourself.
Let your stomach rest from heavy foods after 8 pm. If you have been feeling heavy and tired throughout the day, replace your dinner with a third eye chakra smoothie.
Blend and sip the third eye chakra tea. You can also make a warm golden milk with ashwagandha. Ashwagandha is a powerful superfood from India that has been used in Ayurveda for a long time. However, it is not suitable for pregnant women.
Diffuse lavender essential oil to make the air in your bedroom more pleasant.
Light some candles, turn on relaxing music, and consider having amethyst crystals in your bedroom. They help absorb heavy energy and foster peace.
If you have a lot on your mind, place a notebook by your bed so that you can write everything down exactly as it is right now, without filtering or beautifying it. If life is difficult and stressful, let it flow out onto the paper. To not get caught up in what has already occurred, you can then tear out your pages and set them on fire (if you have a fireplace and can do so safely). It does not have to be complicated; it is the intention that is important. The key thing is that everything must come out of you and then you can let go of what has occurred.
Sit comfortably in your bed and practice gratitude, giving thanks to what you already have in your life.