Taking Stock of Our Values in a Post-COVID World
Do you know your values? COVID-19 has changed many peoples’ inner truth.
Nothing says spring dessert like a good lemon meringue pie! This is a tasty and refreshing dessert classic, that can even be made gluten-free with the wide availability of gluten-free graham crackers these days. At Frey Ranch, we love using the Meyer lemons off our tree and fresh farm eggs from our free-range chickens, but any organic combination of these ingredients will do nicely. And paired with a glass of Frey Biodynamic Sauvignon Blanc, this makes for a perfect afternoon treat to usher in spring!
FOR THE CRUST:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
3. Bake 15 minutes and set aside.
FOR THE FILLING:
1. Mix in a medium saucepan:
in 4 large beaten egg yolks (save whites for the meringue)
3. Add 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into pieces
4. Slowly add 1 ½ cups boiling water, stirring constantly.
5. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about one minute until smooth, thick, and creamy.
6. Remove from heat and pour into your baked pie shell. Set aside.
FOR THE MERINGUE:
sure meringue bowl is very clean and dry. NO egg yolk should be in the egg
whites. A glass bowl is best.
2. Beat 7 egg whites (the 4 egg whites you saved, plus 3 more) on medium speed until foamy.
3. Add ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar.
4. Beat one minute, then increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form—about 4 minutes.
5. Add: ½ cup superfine sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt
6. Beat at high speed one more minute and add:
at high speed another minute until shiny stiff peaks form.
8. Spread onto the pie filling, forming peak.
At 325° for 20 to 25 minutes,
or until golden brown.
Let cool for an hour or so, then into the fridge to cool another few hours.
Serve with Maple Vanilla Cream and sliced strawberries!
FOR THE MAPLE VANILLA CREAM:
Use whipping cream. Whip until almost done, then add maple syrup and vanilla to taste. Finish whipping, put in a bowl, lightly sprinkle with Meyer lemon zest finely minced.
• • •
The lemony flavors in this pie are a perfect complement to the delicate, citrusy flavors in the Frey Vineyards Biodynamic Sauvignon Blanc. Refreshing, crisp, and vibrant with mouthwatering flavors of pineapple, star fruit, and a touch of teak, the 2019 Biodynamic Sauvignon Blanc will shine at your next brunch or spring gathering.
Get this article and many more delivered straight to your inbox weekly.