Read about the benefits of blending and try a delicious green goddess smoothie.
Smoothies can make your life better in so many ways and they are as practical as food gets. Here are seven key reasons to give smoothies a try:
1. They save (a lot of) time. You’d be hard-pressed to find a healthier, more well-rounded way of eating that takes less time to prepare. They’re a complete meal that can be made in a matter of minutes—it’s as easy as dump, blend, and pour. They’re even faster than grabbing prepared food from the supermarket.
2. They’re portable. You can take them anywhere. All you need is a container or glass with an airtight lid that fits in your car’s cup holder and you can enjoy a healthy meal anywhere.
3. They’re economical. Making smoothies doesn’t require expensive kitchen tools or equipment. Plus, if you’re using your blender every day, it pays for itself. A decent one can be found online for around $20 and a very good one can be found for $50.
4. They prevent waste. Smoothies allow you to clean out your fridge by either using the food you have on hand or freezing your surplus ripe fruit and vegetables and using them in a smoothie at a later date.
5. The realities of life can’t sabotage them. When you travel, how often do you find your usual way of eating challenged by a lack of available healthy choices? By simply arming yourself with an inexpensive travel blender and locating the closest supermarket at your destination, you’re all set. These days, fresh organic fruits and vegetables are widely available. And if the local market features a less-than-desirable fresh produce selection, high-quality frozen fruit and vegetables are pretty easy to come by.
6. They’re monotony-proof. The flavor combinations are endless, so you likely won’t tire of smoothies. You can alter the taste, ingredients, consistency, and flavor depending on your cravings, seasonality, and/or what happens to be available in your kitchen. Not in the mood to drink your morning meal? Go heavier on the frozen fruit and veggies and turn your smoothie into a bowl. It’s equally healthy and delicious, and it fills you up—what I refer to as the mealtime trifecta.
7. They help you start your day the right way. Even with the best of intentions, life can get in the way of exercise or throw poor eating options in our path. By starting with a nutrient-packed, easy-to-digest smoothie in the morning, you are setting a positive, healthy tone for your day. You can be confident that your body is getting so much of what it needs right off the bat.
Read this Ayurveda-inspired smoothie story for another perspective.
Green Goddess Smoothie
1 frozen banana, peeled
1 dried date, pitted
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 serving chocolate protein powder*
1 tablespoon chlorella
1 serving collagen peptides
1 cup (240 ml) almond milk or milk of choice
*For a deeper chocolate flavor, replace the chocolate protein powder with 2 teaspoons cacao powder.
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Optionals Super Boosts:
Pink Himalayan Salt
Excerpted from The Smoothie Project: The 28 Day Plan to Feel Happy and Healthy No Matter Your Age. Copyright Catherine McCord 2019. All rights reserved.