I read recently that 31 percent of teenagers think they will be famous one day. I can’t say I’m surprised, in our media-saturated culture. But still, that seems a bit ambitious, don’t you think? And the hard, cold truth is that they can’t all possibly become famous, or pop stars will overrun us by the year 2020. There will be no one left to mind the till or the plow. But this is not to say that we shouldn’t all be chasing down our dreams, pursuing them doggedly.
Fame and fortune are separate things from satisfaction, from leading a life of purpose and meaning. And you know what, if fame and fortune are your jam, by all means, go for that, too. The lucky among us seem to blend these all together. As Marianne Williamson so brilliantly writes in her book, A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles, “We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Your shining goal might be to run a marathon, or write a book, or start a coaching business. It might be getting that degree in nursing, or landing a promotion, buying a house, getting pregnant, ditching that loser, passing the bar, becoming a citizen... you get the point. Get out there. Don’t play small. Make manifest the glory of God, as Williamson says. Here are some affirmations to help you on that path:
- My goals are well defined and achievable.
- I move boldly toward my dream.
- Today, I take one step toward achieving my ultimate dream.
- I am stretching the limits of who I can be.
- I release any fear of failure.
- I’m kick-starting my own dreams, starting today!
- I set specific intentions to achieve my dream.
- I’m taking one step at a time, starting now.
- I’m transforming into the person I want to be.
- I am magnificent and capable.
- I possess endless potential.
- I control my actions, and my results.
- I am unstoppable.
- What I want is within my reach.
- I receive the abundance of the universe.
- I am a magnet, drawing in those who can help me achieve my dream.
- I carve out time each day to pursue my dream.
- I am totally committed to my dream.
What affirmations do you use when you want to chase down a dream? Share with us in the comments section.