16 Affirmations For Loving Your Body
What if we were to practice radical self-acceptance?
One of my favorite internet memes reads, “How to have a bikini body: Take a bikini. Put it on your body.” I love how it rejects outright the notion that in order to wear a swimsuit, one must first be deemed worthy in the eyes of society. Yet many of us deeply believe we are unacceptable because of our clothing size, body shape, skin color, height, or the number the scale is flashing on Tuesday.
What if we were to practice radical self-acceptance? What if we were to stand in front of the mirror and behold ourselves with the same note of awe from that John Legend song? Love your curves and all your edges, All your perfect imperfections.
We are each unique masterpieces. Some religions maintain we were made in the image of God. Even if you don’t subscribe to that, you can still witness the magnificent design of the human form. So here are some affirmations to use when facing that mirror, and for gosh sake, bust out that bikini if you want to.
- I’m perfect just the way I am.
- I deserve to see really see myself.
- I’m honored to be inside this amazing human vessel.
- Today I will take care of my body with _______ (choose your healthy activity).
- I love what this strong and healthy body is capable of.
- It’s okay for me to love myself.
- Body, thank you for carrying me around today!
- I honor my body with healthy, nourishing foods.
- I take care of my body and it takes care of me.
- I accept myself completely.
- I’m confident in my own skin.
- I appreciate the quirks—that’s what makes me unique.
- Today I let go of self-criticism.
- I am a fierce and radiant creature.
- I love my appearance.
- I determine my self worth, not society.
What affirmations do you use for boosting body confidence? Share your favorites below in the comments section.
Kathryn Drury Wagner is a writer and editor based in Los Angeles. Her latest book is Hawaii’s Strangest, Ickiest, Wildest Book Ever!, a science and natural history “gross out” for young readers.
About the Author