In his book Convergence Healing: Healing Pain with Energetic Love, author Peter Bedard suggests asking yourself a basic question, “How do I want to feel?”
To me, this is one of those nuggets of wisdom that works well no matter what change you’re trying to make in your life. Asking yourself, “how do I want to feel?” allows you to project ahead to imagine your best self. For example, do I want to feel hung-over in the morning, or wake up feeling fresh? Hmm, that last glass of wine is suddenly less appealing. Do I want to feel sick to my stomach when I open the Visa bill, or look at a number and feel under control? Do I want to be sweating it out because I started my project at the last minute, or feel pride, because I met the deadline with ease?
Once we have a sense of how we want to feel in the future—tap into that visceral sense of the outcome of our decisions—positive picks become easier. Here are ten affirmations to help you make healthier choices for 2016.
- I honor my body by giving it nourishing foods.
- Tonight, I prioritize sleep so I can feel restored in mind and body.
- I surround myself with people who treat me well.
- I shake off negative thoughts like they are pieces of confetti—they don’t stick.
- Unsullied by alcohol, my mind is crystal clear.
- I bring my gifts and talents to work today.
- Today, I have the energy I need to create a strong and flexible body.
- I create habits that bring beauty and order to my life.
- Trusting in the bountiful universe, I buy only what I need.
- I pay attention to myself and how I feel.
What affirmations do you use to guide yourself toward healthier choices? Share your favorites below in the comments.
Kathryn Drury Wagner is a writer and editor based in Los Angeles. Her latest book is Hawaii’s Strangest, Ickiest, Wildest Book Ever!