The solar plexus (also known as the third chakra) is the energy bank of the body; its element is fire, and it holds a sun-like, masculine energy. The solar plexus is the seat for our soul’s voice. When the fire of the solar plexus chakra is strong, we have a sense of direction and passion to follow our soul’s purpose.
A strong fire in your solar plexus helps you say YES to life and believe that anything is possible. You can trust in the universe and its highest plan for you.
If the solar plexus doesn’t have a strong fire, you may feel directionless, or like your feelings aren’t safe. You may get caught up in your feelings instead of letting them work as a compass for creative expression. For some, this excess of feeling can trigger anxiety.
There is also another way that anxiety and the solar plexus are linked. If you haven’t had a strong fire in your solar plexus for a long time and you awaken it through passion for life again by saying yes to your soul’s longing, the newly lit fire can feel very similar to feelings of anxiety.
To feel balanced once more, all of this new fire energy needs to be directed into a physical action or manifestation. Otherwise, you’ve gathered a lot of energy that doesn't have anywhere to go. We are here in physical form to give our souls a physical expression and creative outlet for our dreams, and balancing our own energy is a way to see that purpose to fruition.
How to Balance the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Refill with sunlight as much as possible. Sitting by a fire also gives this chakra new power.
- Make a list of things that bring joy. Small, simple, everyday things are good. Engage with one of these every day.
- Listen to how the soul wants to express itself. What is the biggest dream you want to manifest? See what is possible. Do something every day that brings you closer to your dream.
Solar Plexus–Boosting Foods
- Golden beets
- Yellow zucchini
- Yellow melon
- Yellow pepper
Here's a smoothie recipe for boosting your solar plexus chakra.
- 1 ripe banana
- 250ml/9fl oz/1 cup plant-based milk
- 100g/3.5oz frozen mango
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baobab powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 teaspoon cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon agave syrup or coconut sugar
Blend everything thoroughly in a blender.
[For more recipes from Annika Panotzki, check out The Chakra Cookbook.]
An Exercise for the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Sit comfortably with your eyes closed.
- Put all your attention on your solar plexus and visualize the color yellow.
- Consider: How would it feel to be totally free, to say YES to your inner longing and trust that the Universe will make the impossible possible? Feel how that would be. Feel the joy and freedom.
- Consider: How would you act, talk, and be in that state? Visualize how that stokes your inner fire and opens up your heart. Passion and joy can flow freely.
- Let the warmth of fire fill your whole being and say YES to life again, to being excited, amazed and curious; to feeling playful and joyful. Stay with that feeling.
Repeat this exercise for 28 days to set a new pattern in life.